Friday 26 February 2016

Week 7: Google Docs and Collaborative Work

Hello Bloggers!

            Everyone do not worry I am back from reading week and ready to share my experience with you this week. First, I hope that every experienced a nice relaxing week off, and not too much stress. If you are feeling stressed I hope this link I am going to share will help.  This week I would like to share something a little bit different from my Feedly account. I will be sharing one of my favorite recipes from Emily Skye’s Blog. The recipe is for flourless banana pancakes, which are so tasty. These are a very yummy treat for yourself, but still healthy and we all know that can be hard to find. I bet we all can treat ourselves after the stress of midterms and papers being due this week. 

            This week I will be discussing my journey of using the online tool of Google Docs through Google. I am using this tool to work on my collaborative project with my fellow classmates on digital communication. I have to mention that collaborative work is a very helpful tool, as it aids many students with writing publicly (Institute for Writing& Rhetoric, 2013). Also, gives the students the chance to work with each other and learn off of one another, since two minds are better than one! Collaborative work is also beneficial for students as it allows the work to be peer reviewed by others to ensure the writing is readable to the general public (Institute for Writing & Rhetoric, 2013). So, if you are thinking about doing collaborative working Google Docs is the best tool to use.

            Google Docs is a tool that aids in collaboration with other people through creating and synthesizing documents.  The features of Google Docs is the ability to create documents, PowerPoint, or spreadsheet, thus it has multiple functions. The analogy I will compare Google Docs to is the idea of having Pages, Numbers, and Keynote all on website. I will be using Google Docs for many of different tasks throughout my education career and professional career of being a teacher. Here is a few example of what I will be using Google Docs for:


    Young Up Stars (2012) [Online Photo]
     Retrieved from 
    http://www.youngupstarts.com/2012/04/12/52-great-google-docs-secrets-for-students/
  • Group Projects 
  • Group Papers 
  • Assignments 
  • Notes 
  • Sharing knowledge 
  • Connect with Peers 
  • PowerPoints   
      Therefore, this tool is a very useful for both the student and professor because you are able to share work and collaborate together. This tool will be very useful if you and your group member live far away or a group member is sick, they are still able communicate with each other via the web, rather than in person. Therefore, this tool does not just help you with creating the product, but it helps you to connect to build the product.

I love Google Docs it is a live saver! It is a great tool that I will be adding to my Personal Learning Environment. I will be adding this tool under organizational, collaboration and productivity, since it is a very multipurpose tool. WOW does my PLE just keeps growing each and every week!

Thank you for reading my blog this week! 









5 comments:

  1. Hi Tyra,

    Thank you for making me hungry... lol. I am happy that you shared that recipe with me because like you said, after this week i'm going to need a stress reliever. And what better stress reliever is there than some yummy banana pancakes. I also like your statement "Google Docs is a life saver" because I truly see its importance the same as you!

    Have a great week,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy, I am glad you agree with my approach to Google Docs! I hope you enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tyra,

    You note "I will be using Google Docs for many of different tasks throughout my education career and professional career of being a teacher."

    What will the changes look like? For example, what process did you use before for group work and how will that change now that you are going to use Google Docs?

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before, for group work I would either meet up face to face for group work or communicate back and forth through email. This is was very frustrating for me, as sometimes I would be doing all the work and my partner would receive the same grade as me. Therefore, with Google Docs I believe this will allow the teachers to see the collaboration between the students.

      Tyra

      Delete
  4. Hi Tyra,
    Great post this week!
    I never used Google docs before but using it for the google collaborative docs assignment has really made me like it!

    Thanks,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work by Tyra Beraty is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.