Tuesday 2 February 2016

Week 5: Twitter and PLN's

So this week I am posting about something a little different from previous week, it is link that caught my eye on my Feedly feed since it is getting close to midterm season. I know we are probably just wishing for a miracle to happen to be able to remember everything in time for those stressful exams. Well this post entitled The Tasty Drink That Could Help Boost Memory andThinking Skills talks about one Canadian favorite winter drink as being a miracle drink. This link is an interesting read, but now the question is do you believe it, and will you try this tasty drink when studying these upcoming weeks for midterms. I think I will, as there is no harm in trying (plus, you get great drink out of the deal!)

Twitter 
The new tool on the Internet of the week is caller Twitter, we all know this is not a new tool, but are we all using this tool to its full potential. This week I have learned that Twitter can be used to share an idea or ask your followers questions. Many young user use Twitter to tweet what they are doing or eating, but Twitter can be used as self-promoting tool. I realize this week you are able to discuss information with your followers in a professional manner. Hashtags are an interesting feature on Twitter, which allows you search a keyword on certain idea or topic and it will locate other posts on that topic that used those same keywords or hashtags. Another feature that Twitter has which allows you to collaborate in more directly is direct messaging; you can also collaborate with others by responding to their tweets and engaging in conversation. All you students and teachers out their need to understand how useful twitter can be for educational activities, you are able to communicate with millions of people.  Twitter also fits into anyone Personal Learning Network (PLN), which is connected with the RSS Feed, which includes many of articles, websites, and blogs that are a part of ones PLN. It is known that everyone and anyone who you interact with is apart of your PLN. Many educators use PLN to collaborate with other educators on how to structure their classroom, lesson plans or activities (Klingensmith, 2009). An example of another tool that may be apart of ones PLN is Pinterest.

Twitter and a Personal Learning Network both contribute to become a digital citizen and knowledge because I am able to connect with others in the technology world. Being able to connects allows me learn how be social and cooperative with other in a different type of setting.  With this two tools I am able to adapt and expand my ideas my making them better, with the ability to share my opinion and read others. Therefore, I will be adding Twitter to my PLE diagram under socialization and collaboration, since that is the whole purpose of Twitter.

Hope you enjoy the read, have a happy time blogging J

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyra,
    Great work on your blog! Your writing style is engaging and polished. I am really enjoying your weekly blogs.

    Excellent work.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila I am glad that you are enjoying my weekly blogs.

      Delete
  3. Hi Tyra,

    I really enjoyed reading your perspective on Twitter as I use! I also liked the article that you linked from your Feedly account as its very useful during this stressful time! Good luck on your midterms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea,
      I am glad that you liked my article this week! As well good luck on your midterms.

      Delete
  4. Hey Tyra,

    This was a great read. Truly enjoyed reading the article you posted. I was also hoping to work on the topic of Digital Literacy with you and Chen Zhang. It would be greatif we could work on the assignment together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Omkar,
      Thank you for the comment! yes I am glad to work with you, have you asked Chen if it was okay :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Tyra,

    Hot Chocolate! Now studying doesn't sound so bad after all. What an intriguing post, glad you chose to share it with us!

    I want to say that I really like your insight about Twitter being a self-promoting tool. Self-promotion is something I find so important. I completely agree with you that Twitter is a sort of personal branding tool when creating a positive digital footprint. I think this was a great way to explain how you should be using this tool to build your professional presence.

    I look forward to continuing to keep up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work by Tyra Beraty is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.